Darlington’s own Joe Montgomery, assistant head of school for strategic initiatives, is one of nine local "unsung heroes" to be selected as recipients of the 2017 Heart of the Community Awards of Honor.
Montgomery was named assistant head of school for strategic initiatives at Darlington after serving as the school’s chief advancement officer since 2004. He has over three decades of experience in banking and in fundraising for private educational institutions. He holds a B.A. from Stetson University and has completed additional studies at Harvard University’s Institute of Educational Management in the Graduate School of Education and the University of Oklahoma’s ABA School of Banking and Williamsburg Development Institute. Montgomery and his wife, Rebekah (’78), are the parents of Anne (Montgomery ’05) Parker, Mary Beth (’08) and Hannah (’10).
"Joe has a heart for people,” said Brent Bell, Darlington’s head of school. “As a result, he has a keen sense of what can be done to enhance the community around him, and is willing to take the time to make it happen."
Montgomery’s service to community includes:
- South Rome Redevelopment Agency and Corporation Boards
- Chairs the scholarship fundraising committee for the Early Learning Center at Anna K. Davie Elementary School
- Private Colleges and Universities Authority
- Greater Rome Chamber of Commerce Board Member
- Board of Directors of the Georgia State Chamber of Commerce
- Served as Chairman of the Board of Georgia Conservancy currently on the Advisory Board
- Leadership Georgia, Class of 1999
- Leadership Georgia Board of Trustees where he received the Fred Kerr Award for enthusiastic and support of Leadership Georgia on a continuing and consistent basis
- Eagle Scout and lifelong volunteer for the Boy Scouts of America
According to Dr. J. Paul Ferguson, “Joe Montgomery has been a quiet, behind the scenes advocate and supporter of many local activities and organizations.”
Another 2017 Heart of the Community recipient that has connections to Darlington is Tashia Twyman, current parent.