- Who can participate in the Soccer Academy?
- Boys and girls in middle and high school, including both Darlington and non-Darlington students, who are interested in maximizing their personal development and soccer skills may apply for the Soccer Academy.
- What advantages will a student participating in Darlington School Soccer Academy have over players?
- Soccer Academy players train more per week than the average club soccer player. This intense training combined with Darlington School’s academic environment prepares any student-athlete for the rigors of college.
- What events or showcase tournaments do you attend?
- Darlington School Soccer Academy participates in several of the largest youth tournaments in the country. The team has participated in CASL Showcase, Disney Showcase, Miami Orange Classic, Adidas Final Four Showcase, Dallas Sport Source Showcase, Nike Norcross, Atlanta Cup and many more. They also travel and play many colleges across the Southeast. The Soccer Academy’s schedule is completely self-directed from year to year.
- What league or soccer association does the Soccer Academy participate in?
- Darlington School Soccer Academy participates as a U.S. Club-sanctioned program that is a separate organization under the United States Soccer Federation. It does not participate as a USYS club.
- How often does the Soccer Academy train?
- The Soccer Academy trains five days a week. Approximate training time is Monday through Friday from 4 to 6 p.m.
- What is the typical training session like?
- Training sessions take place from 4 to 6 p.m. Each session begins with a good warm-up that encompasses speed and agility as well as technical development. Most every session ends with competitive games built around the training topic of the day.
- How much does it cost to participate in the Soccer Academy?
- Training fees vary depending on the selected training regimen, the school you attend (Darlington or otherwise), and the additional training gear chosen by the athlete. Please call the Soccer Academy Office at 706-378-3706 or toll free at 1-800-368-4437, ext. 606, for specific information on fees. Travel expenses are not included in the Soccer Academy’s annual training fees.
- Do many of your players compete at the next level(s)? College or pro?
- Darlington School Soccer Academy has had tremendous success placing its alumni at various levels of play, including NCAA Division I Top-20 programs, NCAA Division II and III, and international professional opportunities. Currently, the Soccer Academy has placed 98 percent of its alumni into the college ranks, with two former members currently playing professional soccer.
- Where do your players train?
- Darlington School Soccer Academy players train on Darlington’s six well-maintained playing fields. Players have complete access to the Huffman Memorial Athletic Center, a $16 million, 96,000-square-foot facility with a natatorium, indoor track, weight room, swimming pool, and four basketball courts.
- What type of medical support do the players receive?
- Darlington School has a contract with Floyd Medical Center to provide medical services. Floyd provides full-time athletic trainers, physical therapists, orthopedists and weekly doctor’s visits for our students and players.
- What type of college guidance do Soccer Academy player receive?
- Each player meets with the training staff to formulate a plan of action for college recruiting. This includes his or her individual player profile, letters of recommendation, as well as follow-up e-mails and telephone calls by the coaches. In addition, Darlington School Soccer Academy has the ability to compile and share video highlights with college coaches. All players who are Darlington students are also supported by the school’s full-time college guidance staff.
- Can players participate in the Soccer Academy without being enrolled in the residential program?
- Darlington School Soccer Academy accepts all students who attend Darlington as well as those players in surrounding counties who desire to improve their soccer education and play at an elite level.