December 9, 2013
Dear Darlington Community,
This is the first of a series of updates regarding the progress being made by the Head of School Transition Committee. This committee – comprised of trustees, parents and faculty/staff members – has been appointed to assist incoming Head of School Brent Bell and his family with their transition to Rome while ensuring a smooth transition between current Headmaster Tom Whitworth and Brent. Specific goals include: (1) Developing a comprehensive plan to introduce Brent and his wife, Andrea, to the campus and constituents and (2) Helping to prepare Brent and Andrea for their roles at Darlington.
Committee members are charged with the following roles:
- Bob Hortman (’72) – Committee Chairman; Introductions to Rome Community, Emerging Leaders, Political Leaders, Alumni Council
- Frank Stegall (’62) – Introductions to Life and Former Trustees, Rome Centers of Influence (Social and Business Leaders), and Sharing Darlington’s History
- Jere Drummond (’57) – Introductions to Current Trustees, Major Donors, Atlanta Corporate and Foundation Leaders
- Kimberly (Murphy) Moseley (’87) – Introductions to Parents and Families
- James Milford – Introductions to Faculty, Staff and Students
- Jan Harrison – Logistics, Support and Home-on-the-Hill Preparations
- Joe Montgomery – Chief Coordinator; Introductions to State-Wide Organizations
- Tannika Wester – Public Relations, Communication and Media Relations
Joe Montgomery and I met with Brent and Andrea this week to talk through our committee's initial thoughts and plans. It is important for us all to remember that while Brent and his family are very excited to join us here at Darlington in July, he has work to do at Randolph School between now and the time his leadership begins here. Please keep this time frame in mind as you anticipate your opportunity to meet the Bell family.
We look forward to sharing more information with you in the New Year.
- Bob Hortman (’72), Chair of Head of School Transition Committee
- Jere Drummond (’57), Chair of Board of Trustees
- Frank Stegall (’62), Past Chair of Board of Trustees
- Kimberly (Murphy) Moseley (’87), ELA-5 Tiger Pride President
- James Milford, Associate Headmaster
- Jan Harrison, Executive Assistant to the Headmaster
- Joe Montgomery, Chief Advancement Officer
- Tannika Wester, Director of Media Relations
The Bell Family
Head of School Search Updates